I have been begging Courtland forever to let me get a puppy and it all finally paid off! For Christmas I got our adorable new addition to our family Lucy, aka "peanut." She's so dang cute! She's 75% mini pinscher and 25% maltise- weird mix I know but she was too cute to say no! The thing I didn't realise about getting a puppy is how much work they are! I swear it's like having a baby (I know it really doesn't compare, but it's my mini preparer for one day when we have kids- haha). If anyone has any pottie training tips please help! I'm really struggling to get her to stop going all over the apartment (thank goodness it's an apartment and not my house!) Courtland likes to call her "Lucifer" because she gets in these crazy moods of biting the heck out of anything she can- especially our toes! But I love her (can't say the same for Courtland) and I'm determined to figure out this whole pottie training thing. Oh and I need to figure out how to get her to sleep in her own bed because she wakes me up like 5 times during the night!
5 comments:
OMGOSH YOU TOTALLY have to go watch MARLEY & ME!!!!!! Now that you have this new addition...SERIOUSLY go watch it. It'll definitely give you a love & appreciation of your baby :-)
When we got our dog (Golden Retriever) they have puppy training classes at Pet Smart. Best thing we ever did. We took Odie to the door every 10-15 minutes & say...go potty, go potty & make sure he went potty. Until he was house broken he stayed in his little room with a baby gate...it is our pantry...he could only come out when we were totally holding him or playing with him. Once he was out of your site he would go on the floor..so that was his home till he was house broken. Pet Smart saved us on the potty training. Good luck my dear. This time is tuff, BUT it is your baby & will be soo worth the sleepless nights in the end ;-)
I think the person above put it completely in perspective of what you need to do. We got a really large liner sheet (you can get them in the pet store or at Wal-Mart) for potty training and put it right by the door. If by chance you see them start going, immediately put them on the pad. Make sure you cage, or gate, them and as soon as you are taking them out immediately take them outside to go potty. I'll look into some more for you. Good luck! She's ADORABLE!!
I am sooooo jealous! I want a dog so badly but we can't have one in our apartment. :( And now that we're having a little girl it probably wouldn't be the best idea at the moment. You are so lucky!! And by the way, your hair looks super cute short! Hope all is well!!
Hey Nicole, cute puppy! We just got one a few months ago too! They are like kids, but they are SO much fun! Plus we are expecting a little girl in Feb., so we will have our hands full! As for training I too highly recommend Pets Mart, our puppy went to potty training (that is just an hour long) and also puppy class (it is I think about an 7 week class, once a night or day)! Dexter (our puppy) is only about 4 months old and he is fully potty trained, and knows how to sit, lay down, leave it, go to bed, and everything! As for potty training, it is a lot of work! I would not recommend the potty pads b/c I hear it takes that much longer to potty train t your puppy. We actually crate trained our puppy for the first little while until he was able to hold it longer. Also he is on a feeding AND drinking schedule so we know when he needs to go outside. That has helped a ton too, and of course treats! Like I say puppy class at Pets Mart you will learn all of this! Good luck! :-)
That is the cutest puppy ever!!
Post a Comment