A couple days after getting to Utah I was going to pick up some cafe rio for lunch and after I had backed out of my parking space, I got slammed in the back and that's when I made my first mistake... I looked around confused as to what just happened and then pulled my car back into my parking space- what I should have done was put my car into park and got out to access the situation and that is my valuable advice to all my fellow drivers who get into accidents- NEVER MOVE YOUR CAR AFTER AN ACCIDENT if possible.
Anyway, the girl who hit me came to my driver side and immediately began apologizing saying she was so sorry and going on and on about how her dad was going to kill her because it was her fault. Mistake 2, 3, and 4- I didn't have my phone, a freakin pen, or a camera with me.
She had no idea what to do at this point (she was 19 and had never been in an accident) so i asked her to call the police to come make a report. However, the police said they couldn't come because it was a parking lot on private property and unless anyone was hurt they wouldn't come. So then I started asking the people who saw what happened if I could get a written statement from them or their numbers in case I needed them for insurance and because it was definitely not my fault and every single person said no and walked away in a hurry! What the crap! Where is your samaritan consciences??
So I told Anabelle (the girl who hit me) to call our insurance (we had the same insurance, which I thought would be a good thing but definitely was not) to make a claim and see if they had any advice for us as to how to proceed.
Anyway, we made our reports to the agent, she took pictures and supposedly called my phone so I'd have her number (which she totally did not call my phone) and we left. I drove straight home (had some explaining to do since I was gone over an hour and was only supposed to take 10 minutes to grab our lunch) and headed back to the scene to take pictures of my tail light pieces scattered in the road that showed where the accident actually occured. Then I called my agent (I have geico insurance) to give another statement and ask where to send my pictures to prove this was not my fault. And because this post is getting way too long... LONG story short: Anabelle tried to claim it was both of our faults and that we'd both backed out 50/50 and hit each other and since I had no witnesses or police report geico was calling it an equal fault and we were responsible for our own cars. However, I was definitely not taking blame for something that was not my fault and physically impossible proven by my pictures and diagrams I sent in. And after days of back and forth and me finally threatening to talk them to small claims court they declared me at no fault and I wouldn't have to pay a dime and my insurance rate would not go up.
Morale of the story: Don't move your car after an accident, get a witness and take pictures before cars are moved, and don't take blame for something that is not your fault.
I was actually super surprised I won the case as it was a parking lot and very hard to prove whose fault it was based off of her word against mine. But the point I made is it was physically impossible for our opposite corners of our bumpers to hit if we had both backed out 50/50 because when backing out you have to back out straight and then turn your car once out of the stall (especially since she had cars parked on both sides) and the space between our cars didn't allow for both cars to back out completely and turn to hit opposite corners.
WOW! Ok and that was my rant about stupid people lying to get out of paying for an accident that was THEIR fault!
The end!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment